Why does GRUB still not work in 1.1?

Questions and discussion regarding installation and getting familiar with Kumander Linux

Moderator: Bernadette

Bryce
United States of America

Why does GRUB still not work in 1.1?

Post by Bryce »

How exactly do I choose the drive to install GRUB on with the 1.1 installer? I've noticed nothing different in the setup to select it. I still get an error after installing the system of "The 'grub-efi-amd64' package failed to install into /target." How do I fix it?
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Most familiar OS: Kumander Linux
MBTI Type: INFP
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Hmmm, I am not quite sure. At the end of the installation, you should see this screen:
Install_the_GRUB_boot_loader.jpg
Install_the_GRUB_boot_loader.jpg (91.25 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Make sure that you choose the right device.

I asked ChatGPT, here's what he had to say about it (number 3 & 6 should be helpful):

The error message "The 'grub-efi-amd64' package failed to install into /target." typically indicates an issue with the installation of the GRUB bootloader during the Kumander installation process. Here are some steps you can try to address this issue:

1. Check Internet Connection:
Ensure that your system has a working internet connection during the installation process. Kumander needs to download packages from the repositories to complete the installation.

2. Retry the Installation:
Sometimes, errors can occur due to temporary network issues or glitches. Retry the installation process to see if the issue persists.

3. Check UEFI Settings:
If you are installing Kumander on a system that uses UEFI, ensure that your UEFI settings are correctly configured. Secure Boot may need to be disabled, and the boot mode should be set to UEFI.

4. Partitioning Scheme:
Check your partitioning scheme. Ensure that you have an EFI partition (usually mounted at /boot/efi) set up correctly. This partition is crucial for UEFI systems.

5. Manual Partitioning:
If you are comfortable with manual partitioning, you can try manually creating the partitions, including the EFI partition, during the installation.

6. Use Legacy Boot (Non-UEFI):
If your system allows, you can try installing Kumander in Legacy Boot mode instead of UEFI mode. This might bypass the issue with the 'grub-efi-amd64' package.

7. Check System Requirements:
Ensure that your hardware meets the minimum requirements for Kumander installation. Inadequate hardware specifications can sometimes lead to installation issues.

8. Installation Logs:
Check the installation logs for more detailed error messages. You can switch to a different console (e.g., Ctrl+Alt+F4) during the installation to view logs.
Bryce
United States of America

Post by Bryce »

Well that might be the reason, I don't have a working internet connection. I'm not sure why as I have both a wireless adapter with WiFi 5 and a built in chip in my motherboard for WiFi 6E, and yet it can't connect or use DHCP or whatever that is called. Any ideas?
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

It is not easy to say why this is. All regular (open source and proprietary) WiFi drivers are available during the installation. Maybe the WiFi is disabled in the BIOS?

I can say this though, that Kumander Linux should install just fine without any internet connection.
Bryce
United States of America

Post by Bryce »

Well, I was able to get GRUB installed with a wired connection, it won't without any internet access, but I don't know why I can't get a wireless one, even after installation. I've tried installing the Intel WiFi firmware but that didn't work. Basically, I'm not having issues with GRUB anymore it's WiFi. I've checked my motherboard settings and nothing looks off. I've even tried a WiFi 5 wireless adapter which also doesn't work.

Besides, I've tried installing 1.1 on both my laptop and desktop and I've had to use wired connections for both. I don't know what's wrong. Windows would detect my wireless cards, but Kumander doesn't.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Ok, noted on this. I will look into it. Thank you.

Regards,
Roy
Bryce
United States of America

Post by Bryce »

I know its been several months, but I have an update on this.

I got a laptop from 2017 in my possession recently, and that was able to detect wireless Wi-Fi without issue. However my laptop and desktop from 2022 cannot. I think the main problem is that there aren't drivers or something for the new Wi-Fi chipsets, as every other Linux distro I use doesn't have this problem.

I hope this helps.