Rufus running under This Spin?

Rant about your dog, the weather, current affairs or what ever

Moderator: Bernadette

forsaken
Most familiar OS: Other
United States of America

Rufus running under This Spin?

Post by forsaken »

I would like to say this isnt a bad aspect of Kumander Linux but just most all Linuxes in general.

People talk about Gaming and Windows compatiblity this and that but none can properly run Rufus :P

The day I find a distro that can run Rufus is the day I truly let M$ Windows go...

Until then it is Tiny 11 for the Rufus win :) ... gaming is nice but it doesnt pay the bills or put food on the table.

Cheers/Bill
Imma Cat and I do not play well with others ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
> Imma Cat /ᐠ. 。.ᐟ\ᵐᵉᵒʷˎˊ˗ feedme ...
Ercouper
United States of America

Post by Ercouper »

Why not install Wine or Bottles and then install Rufus?
forsaken
United States of America

Post by forsaken »

I did use Wine first, and while Rufus does start up, I think because it cannot become "Admin" not all functions work. Same issue with Bottles (which is just another invocation of Wine.)

No, I will keep my three 4TB drives with Tiny 11 as the main boot OS and keep using powercfg.exe /hibernate off ... It isnt what I want, but it works.

Hopefully, I can get away from Windows completely before the subscription version Windows 12 hits :/

Bill
Last edited by forsaken on Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ercouper
United States of America

Post by Ercouper »

Just out of curiosity, have you played with Ventoy? I use it for all my Windows iso's to make them USB bootable and it works great. I also store all my "gotta have" Windows app's on my Ventoy USB thumb drive, everything Windows in one place.
If it is Linux iso's that I need to boot I use Etcher to write them to USB drives.
forsaken
United States of America

Post by forsaken »

LOL :)

I only use Ventoy to load my Linux ISOs but I have never been able to go from Windows Tiny 11 iso to Windows to Go Tiny 11 ISO.

I end up using one of my External Sabrent HDDs and if I need the drive again I can just reformat it.

I have a 128GB USB thumb drive that boots into Tiny 11 so I can run Rufus. I cant use the USB setup long term because it gives Swappiness errors :P

I had been in IT going on 40 years but I am disabled now. Most of my IT related data is in NTFS format. Some used to be MacOS also but I escaped from MacOS in 2018 :/

I have about 12TBs of data still to go thru. Keeping on NTFS has been best mainly because the drives are going bad :/

Anyways, I am no longer usung Kumander, it reminds me of Winders too much ... I went back to SpiralLinux :)

Cheers/Bill

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ercouper
United States of America

Post by Ercouper »

I'll have to play with Windows Tiny 11. I'm a retired electronics tech. and spend a lot of time distro hopping and just playing on my PC for something to keep me from getting bored. My main pc has no internal drives, instead I use a 2 HD hot swap caddy for SSD's. I buy mostly 120GB SSD's and keep one distro on each drive. I've got a case that holds 24 drives to store them. I usually boot a different drive & distro every day or so, update it and play for a while. Only 2 of my drives are Windows, one 10 & one 11. The others are Linux.....Spiral, Debian (one XFCE, one Cinn.), MX(one Mate, one Cinn.), Manjaro, Arch, Gecko, Elementary, SalentOS, LMDE, EndeavorOS, Q40S, Deepin(2), Ubuntu Cinnamon, UbuntuDDE, Deepin, Fedora, Garuda, Siduction (Cinn.)
I was a Windows guy until about 15 yrs ago and have been Linux ever since. I only boot my Windows drives to keep them updated and maintain familiarity so as to be able to help my Windows friends with their problems.
I think I will download Tiny 11 and check it out. Thanks for bringing my attention to it. :)
forsaken
United States of America

Post by forsaken »

Yeah, you sound like me >< lol

I dont really have any internal hard drives either. Was IT Mainframes until 1990 then I was AIX/Unix. Played with MacOS until Apple screwed me out of 6,000 bucks on a cracked lappy screen. Whole thing was an eye opening loss :(

I am reinstalling Tiny 11 on my main drive until I get all my data sorted out :( Linux hates drives left in Windows hibernation mode ... so I am gonna stop fighting and just stick with Winders for now. Doesnt matter, distro hopping hasnt made me happy anyways lol

Cya/Bill

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
audacity
United States of America

Post by audacity »

forsaken wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:21 pm LOL :)

I only use Ventoy to load my Linux ISOs but I have never been able to go from Windows Tiny 11 iso to Windows to Go Tiny 11 ISO.

I end up using one of my External Sabrent HDDs and if I need the drive again I can just reformat it.

I have a 128GB USB thumb drive that boots into Tiny 11 so I can run Rufus. I cant use the USB setup long term because it gives Swappiness errors :P

I had been in IT going on 40 years but I am disabled now. Most of my IT related data is in NTFS format. Some used to be MacOS also but I escaped from MacOS in 2018 :/

I have about 12TBs of data still to go thru. Keeping on NTFS has been best mainly because the drives are going bad :/

Anyways, I am no longer usung Kumander, it reminds me of Winders too much ... I went back to SpiralLinux :)

Cheers/Bill
Not true Bill, Windows boot loader does work on ventoy as I installed Windows 7 and Windows Vista on it before, and Windows 10 and 11.