Restart & Update

Questions/discussions not covered by other rooms

Moderator: Bernadette

42king

Restart & Update

Post by 42king »

Installed Kumander to my hdd. When you hit update and restart in the software center nothing happens. But when you go thru the terminal it upgrades and updates. But after that the Thunderbird update is gone but the OS update remains and as said before the restart & update button does nothing. Also not sure if this is by design but you don't have to give your password when you sudo apt-get update or upgrade; you just hit "enter" and it does it.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Most familiar OS: Kumander Linux
MBTI Type: INFP
Philippines

Post by Roy »

I am not really sure what might be the deal with Software Center not updating tbh. I personally don't use it much.

Noted on the Thunderbird issue, will have a look at that.

And yes, it is by design that you don't have to write your password when doing apt-get update/upgrade/install. Same goes for installing apps through Software Center and Synaptic.

I just think it is overkill security wise and a bit of an annoyance to always have to write the password. So I turned it off.

Regards,
Roy
Ercouper
Most familiar OS: Other
United States of America

Post by Ercouper »

I too don't use Software Center and much prefer to use Synaptic & terminal for apps and updates. If fact, I uninstalled it but am not trying to recommend it. Everyone has their own preferences after all.....

Actually uninstalling Software Center is a bad idea since it is used to install deb & flatpak apps. Of course gdebi could be used for deb apps and flatpak web interface could be used for flatpak but probably not worth the extra hastle. Sorry for the suggestion. :? I still use Synaptic whenever possible though.