USB boot loader install isue

Questions and discussion regarding installation and getting familiar with Kumander Linux

Moderator: Bernadette

norvk
Most familiar OS: MX Linux
United States of America

USB boot loader install isue

Post by norvk »

I used the Kumander ISO in live mode to do a full install on a 32GB thumb drive using the whole drive. After the installation I shut down the computer and re-booted. It booted normally into the Kumander OS on the thumb drive. I then powered down the computer, removed the Kumander thumb drive and powered up again. The computer wouldn’t boot up because it couldn’t find the boot loader. I reinstalled GRUB on the computer hard drive and then it booted normally. I shut down the computer, plugged in the Kumander thumb drive and powered it up. It wouldn't boot.

It appears that the installer is putting the boot loader on the hard drive instead of the selected external USB thumb drive. I repeated the install four times using the graphical and text mode installers with the same results. I thought Kumander OS was very impressive and looking forward to getting this issue sorted out so I can customize it and investigate further.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Most familiar OS: Kumander Linux
MBTI Type: INFP
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Firstly, thank you for the compliments.

Mmm, we made the installer to be as simple as possible. It's made for people coming from Windows to Linux.

Because of this, you are not able to determine where the boot loader will be located. The installer assumes that you are installing on a regular HD/SSD and not a Thumb drive. So that is where GRUB will be located.
norvk
Most familiar OS: MX Linux
United States of America

Post by norvk »

A lot of linux users like to spend time customizing a new OS before installing it on their computer hard drive. One way to do that is to install it on an external hard drive or thumb drive. Another way is to install it on a virtual drive. If you are only targeting X-win7 users you are really limiting potential users. Not all Windows users are familiar with win7. I would sure recommend modifying the Kumander installer to make it more versatile. I liked the text installer, it feels a lot like the Clonezilla backup installer.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Alright, noted on your feedback, thank you.

Perhaps there should be two versions of the ISO; one simple and one advanced. Or maybe you could choose the complexity level during the installation process.

I will contemplate on this. Thanks again.

Regards,
Roy
BelindaRogers

Post by BelindaRogers »

norvk wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:34 am I used the Kumander ISO in live mode to do a full install on a 32GB thumb drive using the whole drive. After the installation I shut down the computer and re-booted. It booted normally into the Kumander OS on the thumb drive. I then powered down the computer, removed the Kumander thumb drive and powered up again. The computer wouldn’t boot up because it couldn’t find the boot loader. I reinstalled GRUB on the computer hard drive and then it booted normally. I shut down the computer, plugged in the Kumander thumb drive and powered it up. It wouldn't boot.

It appears that the installer is putting the boot loader on the hard drive instead of the selected external USB thumb drive. I repeated the install four times using the graphical and text mode installers with the same results. I thought Kumander OS was very impressive and looking forward to getting this issue sorted out so I can customize it and investigate further.
problem with Kumander ISO installer placing the bootloader on the internal hard drive instead of the intended external USB drive. This causes boot problems when removing the USB drive. Despite this problem, you find Kumander OS very impressive and look forward to solving this problem for further exploration and customization. ;)
Heroes of Astra is an online multiplayer role-playing game on Catchmod, you can build powerful characters, participate in adventures to challenge scary monsters.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Hello Belinda and welcome to the forum. And thank you for the kind words.

The issue with the boot loader being installed on the first available hard drive was fixed in version 1.1. The installer will now ask you specifically which HD to install it to at the end of the installation process.

Any other issues, do let me know.

Regards,
Roy