Moderator: Bernadette

kpaulsen
PayPal Donator
PayPal Donator
United States of America

Ken intro

Post by kpaulsen »

Hi All,
My name is Ken Paulsen and I'm in San Diego, CA. My wife is a Mexicana and her influence is largely why I am where I am today. I just earned a BS degree in Cyber Security Computer Forensics from National University. During that 2 1/2 years of school, about the 3rd class in I installed Ubuntu over Windows 10 and began my bumpy ride with Linux. A Slackware install and firewall enable earned me my degree. I enjoyed also NuTyx, Kaisen, and now I run Q4OS, openSUSE Tumbleweed, and Kumander. I'm working on running terminal commands that generate computer info and logs.

I work as an Electronic Technician troubleshooting and repairing Inventory Scanners. I'm also very good at laptop repair that I stumbled into during school.

I have worked with Filipinos quite a bit here locally and have taken some training in Eskrima, Arnis, or Kali, Filipino stick fighting. I'm not currently training. Who killed Magellan? Lapu Lapu. Who killed Lapu Lapu? The cook.

Thank you for your time and your fine OS. I'd like to help you with projects, although probably simple ones. I have passed C++, Assembly, and Python and still wonder what happened. I don't understand the flow of programming.

Salamat,
Ken Paulsen
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Most familiar OS: Kumander Linux
MBTI Type: INFP
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Hello Ken and welcome to the forum.

Dude, thank you so much for your donation earlier! That was really cool and very much appreciated.

I will create some kind of section here that properly lists all Donators/Patreons in the future.

Also appreciate your introduction and your story. As another user suggested, I will create an "Introduction Room" now and move this post there.

And please do excuse my late reply. I am currently consumed by another big "emergency" project, which is taking all of my time and energy. Will return to Kumander soon though.

Salamat din po,
Roy
twoods0601
Most familiar OS: Windows 7
United States of America

Post by twoods0601 »

Hello everyone, my name is Taylor Woods, just a guy who is in the Linux world because I wanted a good alternative to Mac but wanted the Windows functionality.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Hello Taylor and welcome to the forum.

I do hope you will enjoy using Kumander Linux.

If you didn't do it yet, there is a survey you can fill out, in order to let us know about your preferences about what you would like to see in this distro in the future.

Simply go to: https://survey.kumander.org/index.php/478655?lang=en and fill it out to let us know.

Regards,
Roy
MauRaider
United States of America

Post by MauRaider »

Greetings and Salutations to everyone!

My name is Jeff Bennett I am from Syracuse, New York; in New York State. I have to specify this as most people hear you are from New York; they then assume you are from New York City. I have a generalized associates degree in Information Technology. But I have been in and around the field since I was 18, and I am now 42.

I like Linux for the many different flavors that are offered. As well as the availability for it to be free to people who may not have the means to get a Windows license activation or the ability to purchase a Apple computer. As well as the fact Linux can be run on old hardware.

I have tired several different Linux distributions, everything from Red Hat, Mint, Peppermint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Zorin OS, Linspire (Lindows for those old enough to remember the original name), Mendriva, Debian, etc.

The only Linux distribution that I would consider as a daily driver would be Zorin OS. But that had its limitations. But seeing this new Linux distribution of Kumander. Has truly made me excited to see the familiar Windows 7 look and feel. It doesn’t feel like you are in a Linux OS but a Windows 7 environment.

I worked for Hewlett-Packard before they became HP Inc. Federal LLC. I was a printer technician. I wrote a program for HP, while I worked for HP. That program was then given to the other field service technicians to create cases for their Managed Print Services (MPS) and Partnered Managed Print Services (PMPS).

Which then lead to the development with in HP to develop SDS program and the changes within the FutureSmart Firmware for the printers. I don’t know if I was directly responsible for this. But when I was creating my Case Creation Program. I did say to several managers that it would be nice if we had a QR code that we could scan, if the machine threw an error code. If my program became a mobile app it would have had the capabilities of scanning QR codes.

I am really good a finding issues within hardware and software. I am able to see patterns in things that most people may not see right away.

I am a self-taught programmer, learning VB, C#, Python. I am still a very novice programmer when it comes to VB, C#, and Python.

Thanks for having me.

MauRaider
Be safe, stay safe.
Be a Duck or Don't be a Duck.
If you become a Duck just don't be fowl.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Hello MauRaider and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the interesting story, it's a good read.

We are not so different, as I am around your age and also self thought in IT, although starting a bit earlier (around age 8 with my Commodore VIC-20).
MauRaider wrote: The only Linux distribution that I would consider as a daily driver would be Zorin OS. But that had its limitations. But seeing this new Linux distribution of Kumander. Has truly made me excited to see the familiar Windows 7 look and feel. It doesn’t feel like you are in a Linux OS but a Windows 7 environment.
This is very cool to hear, and is exactly what I am going for. I always had one foot in each world (Windows & Linux), but a couple of years ago I decided to go 100% Linux. And in this relation, I also decided to create this Linux distro, where I (and any other ex Windows user) can feel as comfortable as possible.

Anyway, please excuse the late reply. I do have a full time job and a family to tend to besides working on Kumander Linux. Please do consider becoming a Patron or Donator, so that I may work full time on this distro. That is my hope and dream for the future.

Regards,
Roy
MisfitRoxx
Most familiar OS: Windows 11
MBTI Type: ENFP
United States of America

Post by MisfitRoxx »

Hello, my name is Glenn Condrey. I got started with Lindows and Xandros Linux back in 2002. I preferred Xandros, used that until they got out of the Linux Desktop business.
I've used other distros, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Easy Peasy, Peppermint, Puppy, Mint, Q4OS & its Ubuntu cousin QuarkOS, before downloading this version.
I really like that this had VM tools installed already, so that I could resize the window in VMWare, Big time saver.
I play a lot of games, which since I was forcibly retired due to my heart...I have plenty of time to do. Unfortunately, a lot of them don't play nice in Linux just yet...so I cannot completely give up on Windows just yet.
But I have to say that I am really digging this distro that y'all have put together.
I like Q4OS, because it uses the remnants of the KDE 3 desktop...and this made me feel kinda at home with a Windows 7 style desktop.
Will more than likely make this my laptop daily driver...while I continue to split OS usage on my desktop.
Roy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Philippines

Post by Roy »

Hi Glenn and welcome to the forum.

Cool to hear that you like Kumander, really appreciate it. If you need any help or otherwise, just let us know.

Regards,
Roy